Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Working Tans (or Purples in My Case)

It's well into winter in my book and it's cold. Thankfully we haven't had massive amounts of snow or ice (at least, not so far) but we have definitely experienced some bitter cold days.
I'm very thankful that the heaters in the poultry waterers are doing their jobs faithfully to keep the animals' water from freezing and my coveralls and farm jacket (though not fit for wear in public because they're pretty filthy and smelly) are doing their job of keeping me nice and toasty when running from coop to coop.
I give a laugh at the thought that I can't imagine doing half of what I do in the winter without these "working tans", as I recently heard another farmer call these articles of clothing. When the wind turns bitingly cold - there is nothing more comforting out on the farm than that pair of canvas coveralls to block it.
I purchased the farm jacket almost 4 years ago when I got my first flock. Not because it was, necessarily, a necessity but because I wanted to look the "part" of a farmer. I had four chickens to care for in a 6' long, 3' wide chicken coop. I thought I was "so cool" to wear my pristine jacket to the farm store to purchase one bag of feed which would last me over a month.
Now that my chicken run is 30' x 30' and there are multiple chicken coops, I have added a pair of coverall bottoms and these two pieces of clothing are absolutely essential to surviving farm chores. I also need to add, they are no longer pristine but rather are covered by the patina that comes with caring for livestock. Enough said about that.
My working tans are not tan, but are (no surprise) purple. My jacket, nor my coveralls, are Carhartts but they're the less expensive brand, Berne. Truthfully, I don't really mind what brand they are as long as they keep the biting winter wind away.
I've discovered how amazing these pieces of clothing are that I can easily put them over thin pajamas for early morning chores on a normal temperature winter day, zip everything up and I feel like I've layered about two layers of warm clothing on. Combine this outfit with a pair of insulated Mucks boots and I can tackle subzero temperatures fairly easily.
On days when the temperature dips into the crazy single digits and below, you'll often find me walking like the kid in the movie A Christmas Story with two layers of pants and four layers of tops, a scarf (or neck gator) wrapped about my head with a knit cap to top it off and two layers of gloves. This ensemble will allow me to be out in the cold for an hour or better to add bedding to coops, fill water, collect eggs, do some general cleaning in the barn, you name it. Oh, and I am able to put my arms down (unlike Randy in the aforementioned movie).
I've learned my lesson, too, with working tans to never put eggs in the pockets of the jackets to carry them to the house. Almost without fail, at least one egg will explode in the pocket when I bend to retrieve something.
There has not been any snow recently nor crazy low temperatures, but we haven't quite entered February and it seems there is always snow during Sectionals. That all being said, I won't have to worry about being cold so long as these working tans (or purples) are within an arm's reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment